Yield: 4 servings
- 1 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg, white and yolk separated
- 3 ripe bananas, sliced
1. Preheat waffle iron.
2. In a large mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir in milk, vanilla and egg yolk. Mix until just blended. (Do not over mix).
3. Beat egg white in separate bowl until stiff peaks form.
4. Gently fold egg white into batter mix.
5. Apply cooking oil to waffle iron (to prevent sticking).
6. Pour two tablespoons of the waffle batter onto the hot waffle iron. Place two slices of banana on top of the batter and then spoon another two tablespoons of batter on top of the banana slices. SEE NOTE BELOW
7. Cook waffle until steam stops coming from waffle iron and waffle is golden brown. See note #2 below.
8. Top with banana slices and serve hot.
NOTE: All waffle irons are not the same size. The amount of batter used in step #6 will depend on the size of your particular waffle iron. If you are using a small or unusually large iron you will need to vary the amount of batter used.
NOTE #2: Watching for the steam to stop in order to determine if the waffle is done (step #7) does not work with all irons. Try to avoid peeking but with a new waffle iron or one you are not familiar with...you may need to peek.