Roasted turkey is traditional for holidays but can be enjoyed any time of year.
If possible, buy a turkey that includes a "pop up" thermometer already inserted in the turkey. It takes all the guess work out of cooking times.
If using a frozen turkey be sure to buy your turkey far enough in advance to defrost in the refrigerator. Time required depends on the size of the turkey. Use the following as a guide:
* 8 to 12 pounds..........1 to 2 days
* 12 to 16 pounds.........2 to 3 days
* 16 to 20 pounds.........3 to 4 days
* 20 to 24 pounds.........4 to 5 days
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 5 hours
Total time: 5 hours 30 mins
Yield: 12+ servings
- 1 fresh or frozen turkey (recipe based on a 16 pound turkey)
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- cooking oil, as needed
- salt, as needed
1. Remove turkey parts from the neck and tail cavities.
2. Wash the turkey and pat dry.
3. Rub melted butter over entire turkey.
4. Lightly salt the turkey inside and out.
5. Place turkey in a lightly oiled roasting pan, breast side up.
6. Lightly oil a piece of aluminum foil and make a tent over the top of the turkey breast with the oiled side facing the turkey.
7. Cook at 350 degrees F. until the "pop-up" thermometer (if provided) pops up or an instant read thermometer inserted deep in the thigh registers 180 degrees F. (do not allow thermometer to touch bone - refer to cooking time chart above as a guide).
8. Remove the aluminum tent the last half hour of cooking to brown top of turkey.
9. After removing from oven, allow turkey to sit for 20 minutes before carving to seal in juices.