This is the classic simple cheese omelet that nearly everyone loves. You can start with this basic recipe and add whatever comes to mind and make a different creation all your own. Try adding onions, mushrooms, bell pepper, jalapeno pepper, sausage, ham or whatever.
In most instances the meat (sausage, ham, bacon) should be pre-cooked before adding to the omelet. Vegetables should be pre-cooked to soften them slightly before adding to the omelet.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
Total time: 15 mins
Yield: 1 large or 2 small serving
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp. water or milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper (black pepper may be substituted)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- optional pre-cooked meat and/or vegetables of your choice
1. Spray a 10 or 12-inch non-stick skillet with a thin coating of cooking spray and heat over medium heat.
2. Beat eggs, water, salt and pepper together until light and fluffy.
3. When skillet is hot, pour the egg mixture in.
4. Do not touch omelet until the edges are dry and may be lifted with a spatula. Reduce heat to medium low and lift the edge of the omelet on one side with a spatula and tilt the pan so that the liquid on top/center of the omelet can run to the edges onto the pan. Repeat on the opposite side.
5. When the omelet is just about completely set (no liquid egg showing), sprinkle the cheese (and any pre-cooked meat and vegetables if using) over half of the omelet. Fold the other half over the cheese half. Slide onto a plate, and serve.