Yield: 4 servings
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup grits (regular not "quick cook")
- 4 tablespoons butter
1. In a large saucepan, bring 4 1/2 cups water, seasoned with 1 teaspoon salt, to a boil.
2. Stir in 1 cup regular grits.
3. Reduce heat to low and continue stirring.
4. Cook 30 to 40 minutes, stirring frequently. (They will burn if you do not stir!)
5. Remove from heat and stir in 4 tablespoons of butter. Serve hot
1. Add bacon grease (2 tablespoons) when the grits start boiling. Adds a lot of flavor.
2. Stir in one slightly beaten egg while cooking.
3. Add 2 tablespoons chopped onion when starting to boil.
4. Add one slice of (uncooked) bacon when adding the grits to the water
5. Cook grits per regular recipe above, allow to cool slightly, beat in one egg. Refrigerate until firm, then slice and fry in bacon fat or butter. Great way to use left-over grits.