Fancy Mashed Potatoes
Yield: 4 servings
- 2-3 pounds potatoes (about 7-8 medium size potatoes for 4 people)
- salted water (see instruction step #2)
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup warm milk
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Peel potatoes and cut into quarters.
2. In a large pot, add potatoes, cover with water, add a dash of salt and bring to a boil.
3. Cook until tender (a fork should easily penetrate the potatoes), about 20 minutes.
4. Drain potatoes and place in a large mixing bowl.
5. Combine milk and butter in a cup and heat in microwave (or stove top) just until butter melts. Do not boil. Set aside.
6. Mash potatoes until no lumps remain.
7. Add any or all of the "fancy ingredients" in the list below following the recipe.
8. Add the milk/butter mixture in small amounts to potatoes, beating after each addition, until desired consistency is reached.
9. Add salt and pepper to taste. Continue beating until mashed potatoes are light and fluffy.
10. Serve immediately while steaming hot.
Fancy Ingredients (Use one or any combination. Add in step #7 above:
1/3 cup onions, minced
1/3 cup mushrooms, minced
1/2 tablespoon dill weed
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
1 teaspoon horseradish sauce
1/3 cup cucumber, diced
1/3 cup dill pickle, diced
1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
1/3 cup cooked bacon, crumbled
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 package (8 ounce size)
cream cheese, cubed
1 cup sour cream