Here's a wonderfully tasty recipe for an old Cajun favorite. It takes some time to make but is well worth the effort. This recipe easily serves 6. You may keep any left over in the refrigerator for 3 days and re-heat before serving.
CAJUN SEAFOOD GUMBO
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 2 hours
Total time: 2 hours 30 mins
Yield: 6 servings
- 2 Quarts Water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Large Onions (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons Bacon Fat
- 3 Cups Okra (chopped)
- 1 Large Bell Pepper (chopped)
- 3 Stalks Celery, Chopped
- 12 oz. Tomatoes(can or fresh)
- 3 Cloves Garlic, Chopped
- Cayenne Pepper to taste
- 2 pounds Peeled Shrimp
- 1 pound Crabmeat
- 2 dozen oysters (liquor reserved)
- Salt to taste
- Black Pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup Andouille sausage, chopped (optional)
1. Peel and wash shrimp. Pick through crabmeat for any remaining shell. Store in refrigerator until needed.
2. in a large pot, bring the 2 quarts of water to a boil.
3. In a medium frying pan, make a roux by heating 2 tablespoons of oil till hot, add flour and stir till light brown.
4. Take one cup of water from the boiling 2 quarts of water, add to flour (roux) mixture. When well-blended, add back to boiling water.
5. In a skillet, heat 2 heaping tablespoons of bacon fat, fry okra in fat till slime is removed. Add onions, celery and bell pepper to okra and cook until tender.
6. Smash tomatoes and add tomatoes and garlic to okra mixture. Fry about five minutes, add mixture to the 2 quart boiling water/roux mix).
7. Reduce heat and simmer Gumbo for 1 1/2 hours. Add the oysters with oyster liquor, crabmeat and shrimp 15 minutes before serving. Serve hot over cooked rice.