Yield: 4 servings
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs, whites and yokes separated
- 2 cups buttermilk (as needed)
- 1/3 cup melted shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Combine and mix dry ingredients.
2. Add egg yolks, buttermilk, vanilla and melted shortening. Adjust amount of buttermilk as needed to get a thick batter that still pours easily, like syrup or gravy. If too thick, add milk. If too thin, add flour.
3. Beat egg whites in a separate bowl until stiff, then gently fold into batter mix.
4. Pour about 1/4 cup batter into a preheated, lightly greased waffle iron and bake until steam stops coming from waffle iron (3-5 minutes).
NOTE: The amount of batter used per waffle will depend on the size of your waffle iron. If you are using a small or unusually large iron you will need to vary the amount of batter used.
NOTE #2: Watching for the steam to stop in order to determine if the waffle is done does not work with all irons. Try to avoid peeking but with a new waffle iron or one you are not familiar with...you may need to peek.