July 12, 2014
While we focus on Southern recipes on this site, clearly this recipe is not a traditional Southern dish. But it is so good we just had to include it. This tamale pie is made in two stages: the filling and the crust. It looks like a little more work than it really is.
The corn kernels and enchilada sauce really give this a Mexican touch. If you are fond of spicy food load up on the jalapeno peppers for a garnish.
1 hour 12 mins
Yield: 8+ servings
- FOR THE FILLING:
- one and one half pounds ground beef
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
- 2 jalapeno peppers, minced (optional)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 cups (16 oz can) enchilada sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- FOR THE CRUST:
- 2 1/2 cups cornmeal (you may want to try the "blue" cornmeal)
- 2 cups water
- 12 oz (can) evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp salt
1. First, make the filling: Cook the beef in a skillet until browned (about 10 min). Add the onion, bell pepper, jalapeno peppers and garlic the last 1 minute of cooking. Omit jalapeno peppers if you do not want spicy. Drain off oil.
2. Stir in the enchilada sauce, corn and salt. Cook another 5 min or just until sauce begins to boil. Remove from heat. Set aside.
3. Make the crust: Combine the corn meal, water, milk and salt in a saucepan and cook over medium heat until mixture thickens (about 5-7 minutes) Stir constantly and watch carefully. You should watch for a paste-like consistency.
4. Set aside 2 cups of the crust mixture and spread the remainder on the bottom and up sides of a well greased skillet (or oven proof casserole dish).
5. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
6. Place skillet (with bottom crust) in preheated oven for 10 minutes, Remove and allow to cool 5 minutes.
7. Place beef filling mix into the skillet on top of the bottom crust. Spread the remainder of the crust mix on top of the beef filling.
8. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. The center of the crust should be cooked and the top golden brown. If not, continue cooking and watch closely for brown crust.
9. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top of crust the last 5 minutes to melt.
10. Garnish top with sliced jalapeno peppers if you like spicy and serve hot.