Creamy Vegetable Soup Recipe
July 12, 2016
This recipe makes a robust, creamy, vegetable soup that hits the spot on a cold winter evening (or any other time).
You can make a big batch and freeze for a fast meal anytime with a quick warm up. This rich and filling soup is a great way to get the kids to eat their vegetables. They seem to love it.
This recipe makes a fairly thick soup. If you like it a little thinner, simply add a little water.
Creamy Vegetable Soup
Yield: 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil (olive or canola)
- 1/4 cup chopped celery (about 2 stalks)
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 3/4 cup chopped carrots
- 1 can of chicken soup
- 1 can cream of celery soup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 large pkg broccoli and cauliflower or 1 cup each of fresh broccoli and cauliflower.
- 2 cups milk
- 2/3 cup light cream (half and half)
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Add cooking oil to a large soup pot and heat over medium high heat. Reduce heat to medium and add celery, onions and carrots. Cook, while stirring, until onions are tender and translucent, (do not brown).
2. Reduce heat to medium low. Add all remaining ingredients EXCEPT milk and light cream.
3. Simmer, stirring frequently, until vegetables are tender (about 30 min).
4. Add milk and light cream and bring back to a soft simmer (not a hard boil) for 10 min.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.