If it's a barbecue, fish, fried chicken or a picnic, slaw seems to go with just about everything...especially if it's as good as this. It's definitely not mild and bland...it packs a punch with a tart and sweet vinegary flavor.
Mom's Southern Cole Slaw
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
Total time: 30 mins
Yield: 6 servings
- 6 cups finely chopped cabbage
- 1 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 2 tablespoons celery seed
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1/4 tablespoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
1. Mix chopped cabbage, bell peppers, onion and carrot in a large bowl. Set aside.
2. In a small saucepan, heat vinegar, sugar and salt over medium heat, stirring continuously until sugar is completely dissolved (about 3-5 min).
3. Allow vinegar/sugar mix to cool then pour over cabbage mix.
4. Stir in black pepper, olive oil and celery seed. Add mayonnaise a little at a time while stirring. Adjust amount of mayonnaise to obtain consistency you prefer. You may need more or less mayonnaise than called for in the ingredients list above.
5. Adjust ingredients to taste. If too sweet, add vinegar. If too much vinegar, add sugar and oil. If bland, add salt.
6. Refrigerate for 30-45 minutes. It is normal for the slaw to accumulate liquid in the bottom off the bowl. Pour off excess liquid before serving.