If it's a barbecue, fish, fried chicken or a picnic, slaw seems to go with just about everything...especially if it's as good as this sweet, tart cole slaw. It's definitely not mild and bland...it packs a punch with a tart and sweet vinegary flavor.
Mom's Southern Cole Slaw
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
Total time: 30 mins
Yield: 6 servings
- 6 cups finely chopped cabbage
- 1 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 2 tablespoons celery seed
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1/4 tablespoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
1. Mix chopped cabbage, bell peppers, onion and carrot in a large bowl. Set aside.
2. In a small saucepan, bring vinegar, sugar and salt to a boil, stirring until sugar is completely dissolved (about 5 min).
3. Allow vinegar/sugar mix to cool then pour over cabbage mix.
4. Stir in black pepper, olive oil, celery seed and mayonnaise. Mix well.
5. Adjust ingredients to taste. If too sweet, add vinegar. If too much vinegar, add sugar and oil. If bland, add salt.
6. Refrigerate for 30-45 minutes. Pour off excess liquid before serving.