Generally, we do not like using butter in our gravy but it seems to work with this one.
This gravy goes well with most any meat and, of course, breakfast biscuits.
CRACKED PEPPER GRAVY
Total time: 15 mins
Yield: 3 cups
o 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
o 5 Tablespoons flour
o 2-1/2 cups milk
o 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
o 4 tsp. cracked black pepper
1. Prepare cracked pepper by placing 4 teaspoons of whole peppercorns in a food processor or blender and pulse once or twice just enough to crack them.
2. Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan. Make a roux by slowly whisking in the flour. Continually whisk until the flour dissolves into a light brown paste. You may need more or less than than 5 tablespoons of flour.
3. Slowly whisk in the milk, stirring constantly. Start with 1 cup of milk and watch the thickness of the gravy. Add milk as needed to obtain the desired thickness. Be aware that the gravy will thicken more as it cools.
4. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in well.
5. Strain gravy to remove the large peppercorn pieces and serve hot.