Perfect Roast Beef Recipe
August 20, 2014
Considering the price of beef now days we would all like our roast to be a perfect oven roast beef every time. It is very disappointing to have it come out over cooked, under cooked, dry, tasteless or perfect on the outside and raw on the inside.
Follow this recipe and you can cook a perfect oven roast every time. The secret is slow cooking and use of a meat thermometer to cook to perfection. The meat comes out very tender and juicy.
It is very important to use a meat thermometer for this recipe. And be sure to use the guide in the recipe for the proper internal temperature to cook for the degree of doneness you prefer.
Oven Roast Beef
3 hours 40 minutes
3 hours 50 mins
Yield: 12 servings
- 1 beef roast (about 7 lbs.)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- meat thermometer
- roast pan with wire rack
1. Adjust the oven rack to it's lowest position and heat the oven to 200 degrees F.
2. On stove top, heat vegetable oil in the roast pan with wire rack removed (place over 2 burners if necessary).
3. Place roast in the pan and cook, turning frequently, until all sides are brown (about 10 min). You are not trying to cook the roast here, just brown lightly on all sides.
4. Remove roast from the pan. Pour off all the oil from pan. Place the wire rack in the pan. Season roast on all sides with salt and pepper and place the roast on the wire rack.
5. Push the meat thermometer into the thickest part of the roast. If your roast contains any bone, make sure the thermometer is not touching bone.
6. Set the oven temperatute to 325 degrees F. Place the roast in the oven. Using the following guide, cook the roast until the meat thermometer reads the proper temperature for your preference of rare, medium or well done.
Medium-rare = 145 degreed F.
Medium = 160 degrees F.
Well Done = 170 degrees F.
7. When the meat thermometer reads the proper temperature (according to the above table), remove roast from the oven and allow to rest for at least 15 minutes before carving.