Rice and Okra Recipe
March 12, 2016
Like bacon and eggs, okra and rice just go together for a nice blend of complimentary flavors. Some people prefer white rice for flavor, while others choose the healthier brown rice. You may use either here.
This recipe makes a Cajun-like stew that performs well as a main course with hot Southern cornbread.
Rice and Okra
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 cup rice
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 cups okra, cut into 1 inch pieces
- salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- dash red pepper flakes, optional
1. In a large saucepan, combine the rice, stock, tomato and curry. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the rice is tender, about 20-25 minutes. Add more stock, if needed, to keep rice from sticking.
2. In a small fry pan over medium heat, melt the butter and fry the okra for 4-5 minutes or until lightly browned.
3. Add the okra to the rice and cook another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add a dash of crushed red pepper flakes if you want it a little spicy. Add salt, to taste. Remove from heat and serve hot.