March 11, 2015
These sweet, spicy pickled onions are quick and easy to make. This is not a processed pickle but rather what is commonly known as "refrigerator pickles". That's why they are so easy. However, they must be stored in the refrigerator and should be consumed in about 1 week.
If you want a spicier pickled onion, do not remove the seeds from the jalapeno peppers. That's where the heat comes from.
Sweet and Spicy Pickled Onions
Yield: 2 cups
o 1 red onion, halved and sliced thin
o 1 cup red wine vinegar
o 1/3 cup sugar
o 2 jalapeno peppers, stemmed, seeded, cut into thin rings
o 1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Place onion in a heatproof container (quart size canning jars work good) and set aside.
2. Place all remaining ingredients in a medium size saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium high heat, stirring occasionally until sugar dissolves.
3. Remove from heat and pour vinegar mixture over the onions.
4. Cover loosely and let cool completely (about 30 minutes).
5. When cool, pour off liquid and discard.
6. Seal container and store in the refrigerator for up to one week. Best flavor will develop in 2-3 days.