GREEN TOMATO PICKLE RECIPE
If the end of Summer leaves you with many green tomatoes in the garden, you might wonder what to do with them. After all, you can only eat so many fried green tomatoes.
Here's the solution...pickle them! And, here's the recipe to do it with. This recipe makes a slightly sweet, slightly tart pickled tomato. Very flavorful.
If you have more than 5 pounds of tomatoes to pickle, just repeat the recipe as needed.
GrEen Tomato Pickles
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 10 mins
Yield: 4 pints
Ingredients:- 5 pounds green tomatoes
- 2 medium onions
- 1/3 cup pickling salt or kosher salt
- 3 cups cider vinegar
- 1 and 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1 bell pepper, cut in thin strips
Instructions:1. Cut off both ends of tomatoes and discard. Slice tomatoes into 1/4-inch slices and put into a large glass or plastic bowl. (Note: the tomatoes may be cut into bite size chunks if you prefer but you will not be able to get as many in each jar).
2. Peel onions and cut into 1/4-inch slices. Add to the sliced tomatoes.
3. Sprinkle the salt over the tomatoes and onions, then toss to coat well. Cover with ice cubes; cover bowl and let stand for 4 hours.
4. Drain the vegetables in a large colander and lightly rinse. Set aside.
5. In a large pot, combine the vinegar, sugar, celery seeds and mustard seeds; bring to a boil. Lower heat to medium and add the drained tomatoes and onions to the pot. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is boiling. Remove from heat immediately after reaching a boil (about 20 min total cook time).
6. Pack sterilized jars with the tomato/onion mix. Add a few thin strips of bell pepper to each jar. Fill with the remaining liquid, leaving 1/2-inch head space. Wipe the rims of the jars. Seal with sterilized lids hand tight.
7. Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes, making sure the boiling water covers the jars entirely. Store in a cool, dark place for 2 to 3 weeks to allow flavors to develop before eating.
Misc. and Holiday Recipes
(on our sister sites)
- Avocado Recipes
- Mom's Chicken Recipes
- Chinese Recipes
- Cooking Tips
- Mexican Recipes
- Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes