March 11, 2015
So what's the difference between chutney and relish? Relish is generally made from vegetables and is often pickled. Chutney is generally made from fruit and is not pickled. Also, chutney is often chunky while relish may be chunky or smooth.
My conclusion is that you can call this recipe chutney or relish. I don't think you would be wrong either way. Use it as a condiment for anything. Meat, chicken, fish...you can even put some on top of your ice cream Sunday if you want (hee hee).
Tomato Rasin Chutney
1 hour 20 minutes
1 hour 40 mins
Yield: 6 pints
- 6 cups firm, green tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 and 1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 and 1/4 cups cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mixed pickling spices (Make Your Own Recipe)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ginger
1. Trim the stem and blossom ends from tomatoes and dice into 3/4-inch pieces.
2. Combine all ingredients in a heavy non-reactive (enamel, glass or stainless steel) soup pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and cook for about 1 hour, until thickened.
3. Spoon chutney into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/4-inch head space; wipe jar rims. Cover at once with metal lids, and screw on bands.
4. Process for 15 minutes in a boiling-water bath (20 minutes for altitudes over 1000 feet).