Black Eyed Peas and Tomatoes Recipe
This recipe presents a nice match for traditional black eyed peas. The tartness of the tomatoes blends nicely with the peas eliminating the need to add excessive salt.
Try serving this over a bed of rice with collard greens on the side. What Southerner would not love this?
Black Eyed Peas and Tomatoes
1 hour 5 minutes
1 hour 15 mins
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 cups black eyed peas
- water, as needed
- 2 tbsps vegetable oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 cups tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook the black eyed peas in lightly salted boiling water until tender (about 40 minutes) and set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
3. Add the onion and saute until translucent (do not brown).
4. Add the tomatoes and peanut butter and simmer about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
5. Lightly mash the peas with the back of a spoon.
6. Combine the onion/tomato mix with the peas over medium heat.
7. Continue stirring and cook until a stew-like consistency is obtained (about 15 min.). Add water as needed.
8. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve over cooked rice.