Peanut Butter Cookies Recipe
It's hard to believe a recipe can be this good and yet so simple. About the only way to fail with these peanut butter cookies is to over cook them.
The finished cookies can be soft and chewy or crunchy if you prefer. Watch closely while baking and remove from the oven when the tops just turn a light tan for soft cookies. Or cook until the tops are golden brown for crunchy cookies.
Peanut Butter Cookies
Yield: 1 dozen +
- 1/4 cup shortening (Crisco)
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine (softened)
- 1/2 cup peanut butter (smooth recommended but you can use chunky if you prefer)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (pack down in measuring cup to get a good, full 1/2 cup)
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
1. Combine shortening, softened butter, peanut butter, sugar, brown sugar, and egg. Blend well.
2. In a separate bowl, mix together flour with baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add to peanut butter mixture. Mix well.
3. Cover and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
4. Using hands, roll dough into small balls about the size of golf balls.
5. Place dough balls on greased cookie sheets. Leave a 2 inch space between the balls.
6. Use a fork to mash the balls out flat into a cookie shape. Make a crisscross pattern on the cookie tops with the fork. Mash one direction. Turn the fork 90 degrees and mash the other direction. If the fork is sticking to the dough, dip the fork
lightly in flour.
7. Bake at 375 degrees F for 10 to 12 minutes. Cookies should be very lightly browned on top and soft. Watch closely...they will burn quickly.