Peanut Butter Cookies
Yield: 1 dozen +
- 1/4 cup shortening (Crisco)
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine (softened)
- 1/2 cup peanut butter (smooth recommended but you can use chunky if you prefer)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (pack down in measuring cup to get a good, full 1/2 cup)
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
1. Combine shortening, softened butter, peanut butter, sugar, brown sugar, and egg. Blend well.
2. In a separate bowl, mix together flour with baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add to peanut butter mixture. Mix well.
3. Cover and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
4. Using hands, roll dough into small balls about the size of golf balls.
5. Place dough balls on greased cookie sheets. Leave a 2 inch space between the balls.
6. Use a fork to mash the balls out flat into a cookie shape. Make a crisscross pattern on the cookie tops with the fork. Mash one direction. Turn the fork 90 degrees and mash the other direction. If the fork is sticking to the dough, dip the fork
lightly in flour.
7. Bake at 375 degrees F for 10 to 12 minutes. Cookies should be very lightly browned on top and soft. Watch closely...they will burn quickly.
Since ovens vary and if you are trying this recipe for the first time, we suggest you make a test bake first.
Pre-heat the oven and place just two of the cookie dough on a baking sheet and watch closely as they bake.
Time the bake interval as they bake
. When the cookies are a light brown on top, remove from oven. Very important
...allow to cool completely then taste. If too soft for your taste, increase bake time for the remainder of the cookies. If too hard and crunchy for your taste, decrease cook time.