Vidalia Onion Pie Recipe
June 23, 2013
If you have never had Vidalia Onions, try this recipe and you will be a Vidalia fan for life. This prize onion is only available for a short time of the year so watch for them at your store or buy online and have them shipped to your door.
This is a vegetable pie to be served as a main course. It is not a dessert-type pie, even though the Vidalia onions are as sweet as apples. You will love this sweet, cheesy pie with it's crunchy crust.
Vidalia Onion Pie
1 hour 15 mins
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 cup soda cracker crumbs
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 1/2 cups thinly sliced Vidalia onions
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
1. Make a pie shell by mixing the cracker crumbs with the melted butter in the bottom of a pie pan. Use a fork to work up the sides. You may need a little more or less than 5 tablespoons of melted butter.
2. Bake the cracker crust at 350 degrees F until it is partially cooked (about 8 minutes). Remove from oven and sit aside.
3. Saute onions in 2 tablespoons vegetable oil until translucent (about 3-4 minutes) and spread evenly in partially baked pie shell.
4. Beat the milk, dill, garlic powder, salt and eggs together in a small bowl then pour over the Vidalia onions in the pie shell.
5. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top.
6. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 45 minutes or until firm.
7. Serve hot.