Yield: 4 servings
- 2 pounds of potatoes
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of half and half or regular milk
- 6 tablespoons of butter
1. Peel and quarter the potatoes
2. Add the potatoes to a large pot with enough cold water to cover them by an inch or so. Add 1 teaspoon salt and bring the water to a boil. Cook until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork (about 15-20 minutes).
3. Drain the potatoes, return them to the pot and cook the drained potatoes over low heat for a couple of minutes to evaporate some of the water still in the potatoes.
4. Mash the potatoes using your method of choice (electric mixer of hand potato masher).
5. Blend in the butter, half and half (or milk) and any additives from the list below.
6. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
* Pickle Relish
* Garlic (two crushed cloves)
* Diced dill or sweet pickles (1/4 cup)
* Bacon bits (1/4 cup)
* Cream Cheese (1/4 cup)
* Grated Cheddar Cheese (1/4 to 1/2 cup)
* Chopped shallots or green onions (1/4 cup)
* Worcestershire sauce (1 tablespoon)
* Regular or Dijon mustard (1 tablespoon)
* Dried dill weed (or fresh if you have it) (1 tablespoon)