Mac and Cheese Recipe
May 8, 2009
Pretty straight forward recipe for this all time kid's favorite. Nothing fancy or difficult here, just good mac and cheese. The inspiration for this recipe came from a church recipe book dated 1906.
If you would like to kick it up a notch, try adding chopped ham, a teaspoon garlic powder and 1/2 teaspoon honey in step 6.
Macaroni and Cheese
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 (8 oz) box elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- grated Parmesan cheese as needed (optional topping)
1. Cook one box (8 oz.) elbow macaroni according to box instructions. Set aside.
2. In a saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat.
3. Add 2 tablespoons flour and stir until dissolved and all lumps removed.
4. Add 1/2 cup milk and cook until thickened.
5. Season with salt and pepper. Add 1 cup grated cheese and stir until melted.
6. Add cooked macaroni and stir.
7. Pour mixture into 2 qt. casserole dish. Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
8. Remove from oven and sprinkle top with grated Parmesan cheese (optional)