This Southern hamburger steak is an old favorite that can be served as a hamburger snack on a bun or as an entire meal with brown gravy and french fries on the side. The kids love these yummy burger's.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 18 minutes
Total time: 38 mins
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 cup bread crumbs (Panko is our favorite brand)
- 1 pound ground round
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium sweet onion, thinly sliced
- A-1 steak sauce (optional)
- package brown gravy mix prepared per package instructions or make from scratch with this recipe
1. Place bread crumbs in a mixing bowl; add ground round, beaten egg, garlic, salt and pepper. Gently combine until blended, using your hands. Shape mixture into 4 patties.
2. Cook patties in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat on each side until browned (about 2 minutes). Remove patties from skillet. Add mushrooms and onion to skillet and saute until tender (about 5-6 minutes).
3. Return patties to skillet, reduce heat to low and cook another 8-10 minutes or until cooked through.
4. If using gravy: In a separate pan, prepare packaged brown gravy according to package instructions. In step 3 above, add the gravy with the patties and continue with step 3 instructions.