Who doesn't love a grilled cheese sandwich? They are quick and easy to make...and filling. Even though it's a simple recipe, there are a few tips to making the "perfect" grilled cheese. Read on to discover all those tips.
* Use fresh white bread and fresh cheese. Whole wheat may be healthier but regular white bread toasts much better.
* Use good margarine, not real butter. Butter burns easily which will impart an off-flavor to the sandwich. Margarine withstands heat better and browns the bread better for this application.
* Some advocate melting the margarine and brushing it on the bread. We believe the old fashioned way of spreading the margarine directly on the bread (not melted) works better.
* Always use a non-stick pan that is big enough to provide room around the sandwich to get a spatula easily under the sandwich (at least 10 inch pan).
* Grate the cheese and use plenty of it (we like about 1/2 cup per sandwich, but use as much or as little as you like).
* HERE'S THE SECRET to a perfect grilled cheese
Cook on low heat. This does two things...it toast the bread perfectly and it gives the cheese time to melt properly. If you use the correct temperature, it should take about 2 to even 3 minutes per side.
...and, of course, serve it hot right from the stove.
WANT TO REV IT UP A NOTCH?
Add one or more of the following.
* Add sliced tomato with the cheese.
* Add olives and/or sliced jalapeno pepper.
* Add sliced mushrooms
* Coat the bread with peanut butter before adding the cheese (goes on the side of the bread opposite of the margarine...in other words...inside the sandwich with the cheese).