Southern Fried Green Tomatoes
Yield: 6 servings
- 4 Green Tomatoes
- 2 cups Corn Meal
- 1/2 cup Flour
- Cooking oil as needed (enough to provide about 1 inch deep in skillet)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Place cooking oil in a large frying pan and place on medium heat.
2. Wash and slice tomatoes about 1/4 inch thick.
3. Combine egg and milk in a medium sized bowl and beat enough for good mix
4. Place corn meal and flour on a separate large plate and mix with dash of salt and pepper
5. Dredge tomato slices in cornmeal mix, shake off excess
6. Dip tomato slices in egg/milk wash
7. Dredge in the cornmeal mix again to coat thoroughly
8. Place tomatoes on a cake (cooling) rack and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
9. Placed coated slices in the hot frying pan without sides touching
10. Cook until golden brown on both sides (about 3-4 minutes per side)
11. Remove and place on paper towels to absorb oil (do not cover).
12. Serve hot!
Tip: In step 11 it states "do not cover". This is because covering the hot tomatoes tends to ruin that crunchy crust we love. To keep hot, place in a warm oven (about 150 degrees). Of course...if you like soft fried tomatoes...cover 'em.