Fried Green Tomatoes Recipe
May 8, 2009
Southern fried green tomatoes are one of the most traditional Southern dishes. They are so famous they even had a movie named after them.
Properly cooked, they should be crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. When slicing the tomatoes remember that thicker slices will have more soft insides while thin cuts will be crisp all the way through.
Southern Fried Green Tomatoes
Yield: 6 servings
- 4 Green Tomatoes
- 2 cups Corn Meal
- 1/2 cup Flour
- Cooking oil as needed (enough to provide about 1 inch deep in skillet)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Place cooking oil in a large frying pan and place on medium heat.
2. Wash and slice tomatoes about 1/4 inch thick.
3. Combine egg and milk in a medium sized bowl and beat enough for good mix
4. Place corn meal and flour on a separate large plate and mix with dash of salt and pepper
5. Dredge tomato slices in cornmeal mix, shake off excess
6. Dip tomato slices in egg/milk wash
7. Dredge in the cornmeal mix again to coat thoroughly
8. Place tomatoes on a cake (cooling) rack and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
9. Placed coated slices in the hot frying pan without sides touching
10. Cook until golden brown on both sides (about 3-4 minutes per side)
11. Remove and place on paper towels to absorb oil.
12. Serve hot!