Eggplant Casserole Recipe
May 12, 2009
Tomatoes and cheese compliment this eggplant dish with loads of flavor. If you think eggplant is tasteless you should give this recipe a try. Instructions are provided to prepare with or without meat.
1 hour 20 mins
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and sliced
- 3 tablespoons bacon grease or butter, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon powdered garlic
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup bread crumbs, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1. For casserole without meat: Boil eggplant in water until tender, about 15 to 20 minutes; drain and mash.
2. Put 2 tablespoons of bacon grease or butter into a large skillet; add chopped onion and cook until tender
3. Add tomatoes, salt, garlic and pepper; simmer for 5 minutes.
4. In a large bowl, combine tomato mixture with eggplant, cheese, 3/4 cup bread crumbs. Add baking powder and mix well.
5. Spoon mixture into greased casserole dish. Sprinkle with remaining tablespoon of bacon grease or butter and remaining bread crumbs.
6. Optional - If you have eggplant left over, cover the top of the casserole with eggplant slices.
7. Bake in pre-heated 325 degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
8. For Casserole With Meat: Prior to step 2 above, brown 1/2 lb. ground beef in a separate skillet. Pour off grease. Add cooked meat in step 3 above.