If you are vegetarian and love chili, you will love this Crock-Pot chili. You can add water the last few minutes of cooking if you like thin, soupy chili. Or, if needed, cook longer if you like thick chili.
Crock Pot Vegetarian Chili
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 6 hours 15 minutes
Total time: 6 hours 35 mins
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 lb. pinto beans (previously soaked overnight or use quick-soak)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 6 cups water
- 1 six ounce can tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 cups corn kernels (fresh or canned)
1. Place 2 tbs olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Skillet must be large enough to hold all the vegetables plus 2 cups of water.
2. Add onion, bell peppers, carrots, celery, jalapeno and garlic. Stir and cook 10 minutes or until vegetables soften
3. Add 1 tbsp. chili powder and stir well.
4. Add 2 cups water and tomato paste. Bring to a boil.
5. Transfer vegetable mix to slow cooker. Add pinto beans, 4 cups water and 2 tsp. salt.
6. Cover and cook on low setting, without opening lid, until beans are tender, about 6 hours.
7. During the last 30 minutes of cooking, add corn kernels.
8. Remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes before serving.