July 22, 2014
This Russian stew features tender beef cubes cooked in a sour cream sauce. Feel free to add your favorite vegetables but only use those that require a long cook time, such as carrots or celery.
If you use quick cooking vegetables, such as potatoes, you will need to remove them before the meat is fully cooked...or add them the last portion of cook time.
Crock-Pot Beef Stroganoff
6 hours 15 minutes
6 hours 30 mins
Yield: 4 servings
- Salt and pepper as needed
- 2 teaspoons paprika, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms (shitake or white mushrooms)
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup sour cream
1. Sprinkle salt, pepper and 1 tsp. paprika all over beef.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown beef on all sides, about 8 minutes.
3. Transfer meat to a slow cooker.
4. In the same skillet used to brown the beef, combine mushrooms, shallots and remaining 1 tsp. paprika; season with salt and cook for 3 minutes, stirring often.
5. Add beef broth and sour cream to skillet and cook for 2 minutes, scraping up any browned bits from bottom of pan.
6. Pour mixture over beef in slow cooker, cover and cook on low until beef is tender, about 6 hours.