There was a time when chicken Cacciatore was considered an exotic dish that was difficult to make. With this recipe the Crock-Pot makes it so simple. Just toss in the ingredients, turn on the Crock-Pot and it will do all the work.
Crock-Pot Chicken Cacciatore
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 4 hours 2 minutes
Total time: hours 22 mins
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 bell peppers (one green, one yellow), sliced into 1/2-inch wide strips
- 1 cup small mushrooms, quartered
- 1 broiler chicken (4 lb.), quartered
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 pound, uncooked rotini pasta
- Grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish
1. Heat olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until golden, about 2 minutes; transfer to the slow cooker.
2. Add onion, bell pepper and mushroom to slow cooker. Put chicken on top; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour in crushed tomatoes; cover and cook for 4 hours on high or until chicken is very tender.
3. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and cook rotini according to package directions. Drain and transfer to a large serving bowl.
4. Transfer chicken to 4 plates. Skim fat from surface of sauce and discard. Spoon sauce over chicken. Serve remaining sauce with pasta and garnish with Parmesan cheese.