July 22, 2014
This is a traditional Filipino dish that is seldom cooked with a slow cooker in the Philippines. Use of a Crock-Pot in this recipe brings all the slow cooker benefits to this yummy chicken delight.
Crock-Pot Chicken Adobo
8 hours 20 mins
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 chicken (fryer 3-4 lbs.), skinned and cut into serving pieces
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold chicken stock
- Green onions for garnish, chopped
1. Place the chicken pieces in the Crock-Pot. Add the garlic, bay leaves, soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, ginger, peppercorns and brown sugar. Toss to coat.
2. In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch and cold chicken stock together. Pour over chicken and mix gently.
3. Cover and cook on low for 6 - 8 hours (until chicken is cooked through). Remove the chicken from the Crock-Pot and keep warm in the oven set on low.
4. Pour the remaining liquid from the Crock-Pot in a saucepan and place over medium heat. Cook until reduced by half. Pour over warm chicken.
5. Garnish with green onions and serve immediately.