Southern Cracklin' Cornbread
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 1/2 cups white cornmeal
- 1/4 cup bacon drippings
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- dash black pepper
- 1 cup cracklins (Recipe)
- 1 cup buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Pour bacon drippings (you can substitute cooking oil) in cast iron skillet and heat until hot, but not smoking.
3. Combine dry ingredients and cracklins in a mixing bowl. Add milk and mix well (see note below).
4. Add heated bacon drippings, leaving about 1 or 2 tablespoons in the skillet. Mix well.
5. Pour mixture into hot skillet and bake 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown or wooden toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
NOTE: When you add the milk in step #3, add a little at a time while stirring. Watch the consistency of the mix as you add milk. You are looking for a batter that resembles a pancake or waffle batter. You may need more or less than the 1 cup of milk.