Cornbread Pie Recipe
March 14, 2011
This slightly spicy beef and cornbread pie is a complete meal alone. All you need to add is a big glass of sweet Southern ice tea.
If you like hamburger and cornbread with a Mexican touch, you will love this simple casserole. The tomato based filling is full of corn and hamburger that is spiced mildly and topped with crunchy cornbread. A very filling dish.
Beefy Cornbread Pie Casserole
1 hour 10 mins
Yield: 6 servings
- FOR THE FILLING:
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 can tomato soup
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 can whole kernel corn, drained
- FOR THE CORNBREAD TOPPING:
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
1. First make the filling: Brown beef and onion in skillet. Drain fat.
2. Add remaining filling ingredients, mix well. Simmer 15 minutes.
3. Transfer beef mixture to a 10 inch square baking dish and set aside.
4. Next make the cornbread topping: In a medium bowl, beat egg, oil and milk together until well blended.
5. Slowly add remaining cornbread topping dry ingredients and mix well.
6. Pre heat oven to 350 degrees F.
7. Pour cornbread topping mix over top of beef mix in baking dish.
8. Bake in pre heated oven for 20-25 minutes or until top of cornbread has browned.
9. Serve steaming hot.