1 hour 5 minutes
1 hour 25 mins
Yield: 1 gallon
To make the spice sachet: place the following spices in a square of cheesecloth and tie into a sack.
1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns, 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds, 2 whole cloves, 1 tbs parsley, 1 tbs thyme, 1/2 tbs sage and 2 bay leaves.
- spice sachet (see instructions above)
- 10 pints cold water
- 2 ounces vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 leek (white part only), washed and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 whole head garlic, sliced in half
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 large potato, thinly sliced
- 1 cup white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 small chopped tomatoes
1. Add the oil to a stockpot and place onion, leek, celery, garlic and carrots in the pot; cook the vegetables for about 5 minutes on medium heat.
2. Add the remaining ingredients (including the spice sachet). Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 1 hour.
3. Strain the stock, pressing the vegetables to extract as much liquid as possible.
4. Cool and store in refrigerator.
5. The stock will keep longer if you separate into one cup portions and freeze.