July 12, 2014
This recipe is sort of like meat loaf but in a Cajun style with a little "kick". This yummy casserole is a complete meal alone.
Left over's may be frozen and re-heated later. Or you can make it ahead and refrigerate for a tasty, filling meal when you do not have time to cook. You can quickly reheat in the microwave or oven.
CAJUN TOMATO CASSEROLE
1 hour 24 minutes
1 hour 54 mins
Yield: 6 servings
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups onion, chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 cup bell peppers, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 6 Roma tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried Cayenne powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sweet basil
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. In a large heavy pot, heat the oil over medium heat.
2. Add the onions, green onions, bell pepper, celery and garlic. Saute for about five minutes, or until the vegetables are soft.
3. Add the ground beef and cook, stirring often, until brown, 3-4 minutes.
4. Add the tomatoes, salt, cayenne, oregano and basil. Cook, uncovered, over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, for one hour.
5. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
6. Pour the mixture into a baking dish. Sprinkle the top with the bread crumbs, then drizzle with melted butter. Sprinkle the top with Parmesan cheese.
7. Bake for 15 minutes or until the cheese melts.