July 12, 2014
This is a spicy vegetable dish that makes a great side to accompany any meat or seafood. Very easy to make. Adjust the jalapino peppers used to accommodate your tolerance for spiciness.
STEWED CORN AND TOMATOES
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, chopped (with seeds)
- 1 large green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 3 cups corn kernels
- 1 cup okra, chopped
1. Cook onions, jalapeno, bell pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in butter over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent (7 to 9 minutes).
2. Stir in tomatoes and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes form a sauce (about 10-15 minutes).
3. Add corn and okra and cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender (about 10-15 minutes).