July 12, 2014
An easy, quick Cajun dish for a main course. If you do not like spicy food, reduce the Tabasco sauce to 3 or 4 drops and omit the crushed red pepper flakes.
CAJUN SEAFOOD CASSEROLE
1 hour 15 mins
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese
- 1 1/2 stick butter or margarine
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 2 celery ribs chopped
- 1/2 pound fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 1 tbsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp Tabasco sauce
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup,(no water added)
- 1 1/2 cup cooked rice
- 1 pound fresh crabmeat (canned if fresh unavailable)
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Ritz cracker crumbs, as needed for topping
1. In a small sauce pan, melt cream cheese and 1 stick of butter together on low heat.
2. In a separate pan, melt remaining 1/2 stick butter, add onions, bell pepper, celery, and mushrooms. Simmer until vegetables are tender, about 5-8 minutes .
3. Add shrimp and continue cooking until shrimp turns pink. Remove from heat.
4. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and add garlic salt, Tabasco, red pepper, soup, rice, and cream cheese mixture; mix well.
5. Gently fold in crabmeat.
6. Pour into 2-3 quart casserole dish, top with cracker crumbs and cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes