July 22, 2014
Just good down home Southern food that is simple and easy to make. This is the definition of "comfort food" to most Cajuns. Feel free to spice it up with a little hot sauce if you like (we won't tell). You can keep left over's in the fridge for 3 days and reheat to serve.
CAJUN RICE AND BLACK EYED PEAS
Yield: 6 servings
- 2 cups black eyed peas, cooked (recipe HERE)
- 1 (10-ounce) can of tomatoes, drained
- 3 cups rice, cooked
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, minced
- 1/2 cup bell pepper, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.
3. Heat oil in a small pan. Add next 3 ingredients to hot oil. Saute 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
4. Add cooked vegetables (from step #2) to rice/peas mixture. Stir well
5. Transfer to an 8 inch oven safe casserole dish, sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Sprinkle green onions on top and cover loosely with aluminum foil. Bake until heated through, about 25-30 minutes