Just good down home Southern food that is simple and easy to make. This is the definition of "comfort food" to most Cajuns. Feel free to spice it up with a little hot sauce if you like (we won't tell). You can keep left over's in the fridge for 3 days and reheat to serve.
CAJUN RICE AND BLACK EYED PEAS
Yield: 6 servings
- 2 cups black eyed peas, cooked (recipe HERE)
- 1 (10-ounce) can of tomatoes, drained
- 3 cups rice, cooked
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, minced
- 1/2 cup bell pepper, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.
3. Heat oil in a small pan. Add next 3 ingredients to hot oil. Saute 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
4. Add cooked vegetables (from step #2) to rice/peas mixture. Stir well
5. Transfer to an 8 inch oven safe casserole dish, sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Sprinkle green onions on top and cover loosely with aluminum foil. Bake until heated through, about 25-30 minutes