July 18, 2014
For okra lovers, here's a way to prepare okra other than frying or boiling alone. In addition to flavor, the okra provides a natural thickener to the gumbo. If you have any left over you can refrigerate in a sealed container for 3 days and reheat when ready to serve.
1 hour 44 minutes
2 hours 14 mins
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 chicken (3-4 pound), cut into serving pieces
- 4 quarts chicken stock
- 1 stick butter
- 2 pounds okra, cut into 1/2 inch lengths
- 1 green pepper,chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 and 1/2 cups fresh tomatoes, diced
1. Boil chicken in plain water in a large pot until tender (about 1 hour).
2. Drain water, and remove chicken from pot.
3. After cooling, remove meat from bones in bite sized chunks.
4. In the same pot, melt butter and saute okra, onion and green pepper until tender (about 10-12 min).
5. Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
6. Add chicken stock, and tomatoes. Cook over medium heat for 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
7. Serve with rice and cornbread