If you are fond of Kahlua you are aware of how expensive it is. And did you ever want your Kahlua to be more potent? Less potent? More coffee flavor or less?
Well, make your own and you can adjust the ingredients to make it the way you want it. Make one batch using the recipe below and next time you can adjust to your taste if needed.
HOME MADE KAHLUA
Yield: 4-5 pints+
- 4 cups Sugar
- 6 cups water
- 2 ounces instant coffee
- 1 bottle (1.75 liter) of vodka
- 1/2 pint dark rum
- 4 tablespoons vanilla extract
1. Mix Sugar and water and bring to a slow boil. Simmer on medium heat 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
2. Add 2 ounces instant coffee, stir and simmer 5 minutes longer. Stir constantly.
3. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
4. Add entire bottle of vodka, 1/2 pint rum and the 4 teaspoons vanilla extract. Mix well. Make sure water/sugar mixture is cool. If it is still hot some of the alcohol will evaporate from the vodka and rum!
5. Rebottle and enjoy.
You may drink the kahlua immediately but flavors will enhance if allowed to stand a few days.
Mix with coffee or drink straight mixed with 1/4 cup milk over ice. Be sure to use fresh milk. The kahlua will curdle milk that is not fresh.