These Cajun green beans are a little sweet, a little tangy and a little spicy. We cook the beans longer than you may be use to cooking beans so be sure to heed the warning to keep the beans covered in water. Burnt beans are totally uneatable and will leave an odor in your kitchen that takes some effort to eliminate.
CAJUN GREEN BEANS
1 hour 5 minutes
1 hour 20 mins
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 pound fresh snap beans (cut/snapped into 1 inch lengths)
- 2 slices uncooked bacon
- 1 small onion, cut in half
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1. Combine all the ingredients in a medium soup pot. Add enough water to cover beans by about 4 inches
2. Cover with a tight fitting lid and cook over medium heat 5 minutes.
3. Reduce heat; cook about 1 hour longer or until beans are very tender and turn a dull green color.
4. Watch carefully and add water if needed to keep at least 2 inches of water in bottom of pot at all times. The beans will burn quickly if allowed to dry out.