YOU ARE HERE:
CAJUN CHICKEN STOCK
A good homemade Chicken Stock will be clear and thick (almost like Jell-O) when finished. This recipe makes just such a stock.
Be prepared for some heavenly smells from your kitchen while cooking.
Cajun Chicken Stock
3 hours 30 mins
6 quarts cold water
1 whole cut up chicken (include everything - backs, necks, etc.)
2 stalks celery with tops, chopped
1 cup carrots, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 small heads garlic, cut in half
FOR THE SPICE SACHET:
1/2 tsp parsley
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp. dried thyme leaves
1/4 tsp. dried tarragon leaves
1/4 tsp. dried oregano leaves
1/4 tsp. dried basil leaves
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
1. Make the spice sachet by placing the spices ingredients in a 4" square of cheesecloth and tied into a sack. Set aside.
2. Remove the skin from the chicken and chop into 3-4 inch pieces, do not remove bones.
3. Put the chicken in the stockpot with 6 quarts water and bring to a simmer. Periodically skim off the scum that forms on the surface.
4. Simmer 2 hours. DO NOT STIR while simmering.
5. Add the vegetables and spice sachet.
6. Simmer for one more hour.
7. Strain the stock through a strainer. See notes below.
SOUTHERN COOKING TECHNIQUES
WHAT'S WRONG WITH MY BISCUITS
WHAT'S WRONG WITH MY CORNBREAD
HOW TO CURE CAST IRON COOKWARE
COUNTRY MAC AND CHEESE
MISC. & HOLIDAY RECIPES