Cajun Chicken Stock
3 hours 30 mins
Yield: 4 quarts
- 6 quarts cold water
- 1 whole cut up chicken (include everything - backs, necks, etc.)
- 2 stalks celery with tops, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 small heads garlic, cut in half
- FOR THE SPICE SACHET:
- 1/2 tsp parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 tsp. dried tarragon leaves
- 1/4 tsp. dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 tsp. dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
1. Make the spice sachet by placing the spices ingredients in a 4" square of cheesecloth and tied into a sack. Set aside.
2. Remove the skin from the chicken and chop into 3-4 inch pieces, do not remove bones.
3. Put the chicken in the stockpot with 6 quarts water and bring to a simmer. Periodically skim off the scum that forms on the surface.
4. Simmer 2 hours. DO NOT STIR while simmering.
5. Add the vegetables and spice sachet.
6. Simmer for one more hour.
7. Strain the stock through a strainer. See notes below.
* If you're using the stock immediately, skim off as much fat as you can with a paper towel
* If using later, cool the stock quickly by placing the stockpot into another container of ice-water, stirring until cool.
* Do not put hot stock in the refrigerator; it must be cooled quickly first.
* After cooled, refrigerate overnight, then skim off solidified fat on the surface. Then store in the refrigerator.