July 15, 2014
Although this is an old recipe, it seems that bread pudding is seldom served now days. Many young people have never tasted it. If there are young ones in your family that fall in this category, put on your apron and introduce them to this delightful dessert today.
1 hour 20 mins
Yield: 6+ servings
- 4 slices (3-4 day old) bread
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup raisins
1. Break bread into 1/2 inch pieces into a 1-1/2 quart oven proof dish. Set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar, egg yolks, milk, vanilla and salt. Beat well.
3. Fold in raisins
4. Pour milk mixture over bread.
5. Cut butter into chunks and spread over top of bread.
6. Place the dish in a pan of water and bake at 300 degrees for 40-50 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
7. Make meringue topping by adding 2 tablespoons sugar to the 4 egg whites and beat until frothy.
8. Spread meringue topping on top of pudding and return to oven set on broiler position. Remove when meringue top is golden brown. You must watch continuously while meringue browns. Do not walk away, it will burn quickly.