BBQ Beans Recipe
4 hours 30 mins
Yield: 6+ servings
- 2 cups kidney beans (you can substitute pinto or red beans)
- 1/2 cup Chinese BBQ pork, chopped (if unavailable, substitute 4 slices bacon))
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp hot sauce (Tabasco)
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp black pepper
- water, as needed (see directions)
1. Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker (crock pot).
2. Cover and cook on high setting for 4 hours or until beans are tender.
3. VERY IMPORTANT!! When the beans are tender, taste and add any ingredients needed. Some people like more brown sugar and/or BBQ sauce. The liquid in the pot should be reduced to a thick sauce. If still watery dissolve 1 tbsp cornstarch in 1/2 cup cold water and add to beans. Continue cooking until the liquid is a slightly thick sauce.
NOTE: As noted in the introduction, you may cook these yummy beans on the stove top if you prefer. Just use a large pot on medium-low heat and simmer until beans are tender. Be sure to keep the beans covered in liquid to prevent burning.