July 18, 2014
We found this wonderful sauce in an old church recipe book that was over 40 years old. The original recipe did not use liquid smoke so we added it for a little more "smoky" flavor.
This sauce goes well with BBQ beef, pork or chicken. It may be used for basting, as a marinate or served on the side at the table.
Sweet Tennessee BBQ Sauce
Yield: 2 cups
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard or 1 tablespoon prepared (hot dog) mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- dash of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1. Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil while stirring.
2. Reduce heat, continue stirring and simmer 10 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and bottle or use immediately for basting, as a marinade or on the side at the table.
4. Store in the refrigerator.