This recipe makes a BBQ sauce that uses a little trick of adding equal parts of water to the recipe which tends to keep the sauce from burning off on the grill. The sauce will produce a wonderful shiny glaze on meat or chicken.
A lot of ingredients but it makes a good sauce. Be aware that the alcohol in the rum evaporates during cooking so there is no significant alcohol in the sauce. It just adds flavor.
Sweet and Sticky BBQ Sauce
Yield: 2 pints
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground clove
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce (Tabasco)
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan.
2. Add the garlic, onion, green pepper and a large pinch of salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until onions and peppers are softened.
3. Add the rum and simmer 2 minutes.
4. Add the chili powder, black pepper, allspice and cloves. Cook, stirring, 3 minutes.
5. Add the brown sugar, water, ketchup, molasses, vinegar and hot sauce. Simmer until thickened, about 30 minutes.
6. Transfer to a food processor and puree. Season with salt to taste.
7. May be refrigerated up to 2 weeks.