July 14, 2014
This recipe may be cooked on the outdoor grill or indoor stove. For a unique twist cook the shrimp in a wok for an Oriental BBQ touch. It makes BBQ shrimp that is sweet or spicy. We like a combination of both.
To adjust flavor (sweet or spicy) just use the suggestions in the ingredients list to add or subtract honey and/or hot pepper sauce.
4 hours 20 minutes
4 hours 26 mins
Yield: 6 servings
- 2 pounds LARGE shrimp, uncooked (vein, tail and shell removed)
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/4 cup honey (for spicy BBQ, use 1 teaspoon honey)
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce (Tabasco or similar - omit for sweet BBQ)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (Omit for sweet BBQ)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. In a large bowl, mix together all of the ingredients. Marinate shrimp at least 4 hours in bottom of refrigerator, turning occasionally (overnight is O.K.).
2. Heat grill, skewer shrimp and BBQ for about 2-3 minutes on each side.
3. You can make ka-bobs by adding chunks of onion and bell pepper to skewers, alternating shrimp, onion, bell pepper the length of the skewer.
4. Note: Shrimp cooks very fast so take care not to over cook. Over cooked shrimp is tough and chewy. The best test is...taste it!