July 14, 2014
This recipe makes a basic, simple Southern Barbecue sauce loaded with flavor. It is made with common BBQ ingredients. You can make a batch (or double batch) of this sauce and store it in a sealed container in the fridge for weeks.
Simple Southern BBQ Sauce
Yield: 5 cups
- 2 cups Coca-Cola (or Pepsi)
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons black pepper
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
1. Mix all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
2. Reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until sauce is reduced and slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
3. If you like sauce that is a little chuncky, proceed to the next step. If you prefer a smooth sauce process the mix in a food processor until smoth, strain, than proceed to the next step.
4. Transfer to a sealable container and store in refrigerator.