July 12, 2014
This is one of those recipes where you can spend time preparing once, then have several instant meals available later by freezing the meat (assuming you do not eat all 8 sandwiches initially:).
The real key to making these sandwiches outstanding is to cook the meat until it is falling apart tender It takes longer but we prefer using a slow cooker for the most tender meat. If you have a pressure cooker you can achieve the same tenderness in considerably less time.
This recipe works well for beef, pork or chicken.
BBQ Beef Sandwich
8 hours 30 mins
8 hours 45 mins
Yield: 8 servings
- 3 lbs chuck roast
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp vinegar
1. Cook the roast until falling apart tender (8 + hours on low setting in a slow cooker).
2. Remove roast to a cutting board and using two forks, shred the meat.
3. Combine all remaining ingredients in a large pot and stir in the meat.
4. Cover and let simmer over medium low heat about 30 minutes.
5. Place heaping portions of meat on your favorite bread. Place left over sauce on table for those that want to add more.
6. Left over meat may be frozen for later use.