This very simple BBQ pulled pork recipe lets the crock-pot do all the work. We like to start the crock-pot on low in the morning and have BBQ pulled pork sandwiches in the evening.
Freeze any left over pork for a quick meal with a simple re-heat.
Crock-Pot BBQ Pulled Pork
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 12 hours
Total time: 12 hours 15 mins
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Cup chili sauce
- 1/4 Cup brown sugar
- 1/4 Cup cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Liquid Smoke
- 3 pound boneless pork shoulder, fat trimmed off
1. In a medium sauce pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, cook until soft but not browned.
2. Add garlic, chili powder and liquid smoke. Cook, stirring, one minute.
3. Add chili sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil while stirring.
4. Place pork in crock-pot (slow cooker). Pour sauce from previous step over top of pork. Cover and cook on low 10-12 hours or until pork is falling apart tender.
5. Transfer meat to a cutting board and shred using two forks.
6. Return shredded meat to crock-pot and stir to coat in sauce while re-heating for 5 minutes.
7. If additional sauce is needed, add water and stir well while heating.