CLASSIC BBQ CHICKEN RECIPE
This recipe is so simple but you will be pleasantly surprised when you taste the BBQ chicken. We combine ketchup, cola and simple spices to get a barbecue flavor. The cola marinade, made with ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen, tenderizes the chicken with just a short soak. We added a dash of liquid smoke for a little extra BBQ kick.
Classic BBQ Chicken
1 hour 20 minutes
1 hour 35 mins
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 cut up fryer chicken
- 1 cup ketchup
- 12 oz Coca Cola or Pepsi (not diet)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- dash of liquid smoke (see note following recipe)
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
1. For the marinade, combine all ingredients except chicken in a small bowl and mix well. Pour the marinade into a sealable plastic bag (1 gallon or larger size).
2. Place the chicken in the plastic bag with the marinate, seal and toss to coat the chicken on all sides with the marinade. Refrigerate for 1 to 4 hours.
3. Cook the chicken on a BBQ grill until meat starts to separate from bone, basting occasionally with the marinade. This may take 5 to 15 minutes or more according to what parts of chicken are used and temperature of grill. The chicken should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160 degrees F. as read on a meat thermometer.
4. You may also cook the chicken indoor in the oven at 300 degrees until meat easily pulls off bone (1+ hour).
Note: Liquid smoke is normally found in the BBQ sauce section of your local grocery store. Be careful with liquid smoke, it is very potent and can overpower other flavors. You only need a few drops.